Vision document for H2 2016

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 9 18:39:41 PDT 2016

On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 19:17:31 +0000, Eugene wrote:

> On Thursday, 7 July 2016 at 19:55:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2016H2 -- Andrei
>
> is it possible to make a modular D language(and a compiler), so one just
> could release new features of the language without releasing a new
> version of a compiler(ldc, etc.), and these features would be just
> extensions of the compilers?

That would be kind of terrible by default.

What ensures that two different modules are compatible? Nothing, by
default. What happens if you try including two incompatible compiler
modules in one project? Presumably an error. What if I try to depend on
two libraries that have incompatible compiler modules? I can't.

So it's a lot of work and would just fragment the language.