DIP: Tail call optimization

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 10 00:43:14 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 at 07:30:32 UTC, Dietrich Daroch wrote:
> If attributes look messy, pragma can be used.
>
> It may look as an addition with little gain, but one of the
> reasons of compiling is to prevent runtime errors as early as
> possible and this seeks exactly that.

then TCO should be added to language spec too. for now, compiler
is not obliged to implement it. also, many implementations only
implement TCO for functions with exactly same args -- is this
something that should be speced, or not?

we already has one optimization case speced -- NRVO. and it is
BAD. adding another implementation detail to the spec will only
worsen the situation, i believe.