DIP: Tail call optimization

Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 11 06:41:24 PDT 2016

On Monday, 11 July 2016 at 12:29:33 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 July 2016 at 05:03:46 UTC, Dietrich Daroch wrote:
>> Hi everyone (=
>>
>> I've just added a new proposal to add a new attribute to
>> ensure TCO is applied.
>>
>> The proposal is really simple, but I'm clueless on how to
>> implement it and also interested on getting feedback on it.
>>

>> The proposal it's ready for merge on the new [DIPs
>> repo](https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/6)
>>
>> --
>> Dietrich
>
> Oh no, another consequence of the wilzaback. He has announced
> everywhere that it's possible to make DIPs on github...what a
> surpise to see that.

I am happy to learn why posting the announcement to reddit was a
mistake. The reception was entirely positive and as Dicebot
pointed out, having a formal process about language changes is a
must-have criteria for many companies and thus a blocker for
further adaption of D. On the contrary I think it was a wake-up
call for people being frustrated with some deficits of D.
Moreover I am not sure why you keep misspelling my lastname. If
eight letter are to difficult to memorize for you, you might want
to stop complaining about deficit's of other people.

> So...Dietrich, do you use D a bit at least ? Or do you come
> because you read r/programming or hackernews ?

Did you take the time to look at the DIP before making your
offenses?
Dietrich has already published D modules on Github which you
would have seen if you be generally interested and not trolling.

As other people already have stated the DIP is not trivial and
the only thing that was sub-optimal was it's announcement in News
before being fleshed out, but to be fair Dietrich just followed
the new DIP process protocol, which still needs fine-tuning in
its details. However without motivated alpha warriors like
Dietrich such fine-tuning can't happen, so you should be more
thankful to him.

@Dietrich: Don't let yourself distract by trolls. Keep on
improving your DIP and making it great & convincing!