MOOC course on Programming Languages taught by Dan Grossman

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 12 15:21:46 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 at 20:47:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Dan Grossman, an exceptionally accomplished PL researcher from
> University of Washington, is teaching a MOOC on Coursera. The
> class starts on July 25 and is free unless you want
> accreditation. Highly recommended.
>
> https://www.coursera.org/learn/programming-languages
>

> Andrei

I took the first edition of this class, and it was the best MOOC
I've taken (probably the only one for which I actually made it to
the end). He is one of the few that does well with the format.

Note the statement "with a strong emphasis on functional
programming" - as I recall, it was mostly a functional
programming class, as you'd expect when the first two languages
are Standard ML and Racket. Highly recommended for anyone that
wants to go reasonably deep into functional programming. It's
definitely NOT a beginning programming course.