C++ to D converter based on clang

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 1 04:40:44 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-01 10:55, Loïc HAMOT wrote:

> Hello Jacob.
> It think DStep and CPP2D have very different objectives.
> DStep target C and Objective-C headers, but CPP2D target C++ full source
> code.

No. Targeting C++ is not against the objectives of DStep. C and
Objective-C just happens to be what DStep currently supports. It make
sense to start with C since it's a subset of both Objective-C and C++.
Also, when I started the C++ support in D didn't exist or was very limited.

> Maybe do you think I could participate to DStep in order to extend it to
> full C++ source handling?

Yes ;)

> Yes I could. Like I could participate to VisualD/cpp2d or magicport2
> projects.

Anything that is not using a real front end is a lost cause.

> But the reason why I didn't is I want to test the feasibility of a C++
> to D conversion using the clang parser.

I don't see a reason why it was necessary to create a completely new
project for that.

> Now, I think I passed the proof of concept step, and merge my work in an
> other project is not out of the question.

Not sure how easy it would be to integrate in DStep. I'm guessing you're
using the C++ API while DStep is written in D and is using the C API.

--
/Jacob Carlborg