Beta release DUB 1.0.0-beta.1

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 05:21:57 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-08 11:15, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

> I generally really do appreciate your critique, but without backing
> reasons it doesn't really have a constructive effect.
>
> Two good properties about restricting to /+ +/ is that it's still
> possible to put something else in front of it, and that it stands out
> from the usual /* */ comments. Sure arguments can be made for supporting
> all comment types, but it shouldn't be forgotten that in the end this is
> a question of absolutely minimal impact.
>
> Just to be clear: If anyone has a good argument for supporting more/all
> comment types and there are no equally good arguments against it, please
> go ahead and implement it and it will be included. Let's just make this
> a quick decision, because changing it later on will mean breakage no
> matter how it's done.

It's just that since the language support other styles of comments one
could think that all comments are supported and it will cause confusion
if only one style is supported. Otherwise it might be better to use a
UDA, if possible.

If one reads the documentation and copy pastes and example the user will
most likely get it right. But if you have a conversation saying
something like "it's possible to put the content of dub.json inline in
the source code, just put it in a comment" then someone will for sure
try using a comment style that is not supported.

The documentation needs to be very clear that only one type comments are
supported, if that's the conclusion.

--
/Jacob Carlborg