Beta release DUB 1.0.0-beta.1

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 06:06:45 PDT 2016

On 6/8/16 2:45 PM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 08.06.2016 um 16:58 schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:
>> I agree with Jacob. A comment is a comment.
>
> Well, there are normal comments, doc comments and now DUB recipe
> comments. But at least if doc comments serve as an analogy, those are
> possible with all three comment styles, so that could be taken as a
> consistency argument.
>
>> There is no reason one needs
>> to use specifically /+. In fact the only reason for the existence of /+
>> is to allow nesting of comments -- which doesn't apply here. I'd say you
>> should support // comments as well.
>
> SDLang supports C and C++ style comments as well, so could in fact apply
> here. But probably you'd usually use // style comments in that case.

So this is definitely something concerning for allowing all comment
styles. If one wants to put comments in their sdl file, then one must
use an alternate style of commenting inside their sdl file. This makes
/+ much more attractive than the other styles.

But I think this is really just a documentation issue. The biggest
problem I would see is if someone used /* style comments in their sdl
file definition, but wanted to use /* style comments to include it, the
parser would prematurely close the whole comment block.

>> There's another aspect here, in that most people (even core D
>> developers) use the /* comment style */. So someone seeing the /+
>> comment might think this is a specialized dub thing.
>
> Would there be any harm? Looking it up in either DUB's or DMD's
> documentation would clarify that.

Not "harm", but confusion. I can see someone never looking this up,
because it may seem "obvious" the /+ is dub special. It's very minimal
impact, but something I just thought of.

>> I will finally say this: if such an implementation update existed, what
>> would be the reason NOT to pull it? That is, I think literally the only
>> reason not to support /* for this purpose is that nobody has done the
>> work. If you can give no better reason, it should take away any barriers
>> for anyone wishing to create this improvement.
>
> Apart from what I've already mentioned in my first reply to Jacob, I
> think there is nothing else that couldn't be solved in either case.

"It's still possible to put something else in front of it"

I didn't get this. How is /+ different from /*? I thought the only issue
was the nesting.

> Okay, so at least 3 people favor supporting other comment styles, while
> I'm not convinced that supporting all comment styles is necessarily
> better, I wouldn't mind pulling an update. The relevant code section is
> here:
> https://github.com/dlang/dub/blob/b02c18991b0cb4627eb0c943efd6ca3e69192751/source/dub/dub.d#L288

Thanks. Perhaps more debate is fruitless until someone steps up with an
implementation :)

> 1.0.0-rc.1 is scheduled for Monday morning, so it should ready by then
> to avoid stretching the release schedule (it's technically a breaking
> change!).

How would this be a breaking change? It seems an additive feature, and
I'm not sure it's required to be there before the first 1.0 release.

-Steve