Button: A fast, correct, and elegantly simple build system.

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 13 13:12:27 PDT 2016

On 6/12/2016 4:27 PM, Jason White wrote:
> I don't understand this dependency-phobia.

It's the "first 5 minutes" thing. Every hiccup there costs us maybe half the
people who just want to try it out.

Even the makefiles have hiccups. I've had builds fail with the dmd system
because I had the wrong version of make installed. And it doesn't fail with "you
have the wrong make program installed" messages, it fails with some weird error
message pointing into the middle of the makefile.

The makefiles, especially posix.mak, have grown into horrific snarls of
who-knows-what-is-happening. I hate makefiles that call other makefiles.
Sometimes I feel like chucking them all and replacing them with a batch file
that is nothing more than an explicit list of commands:

     dmd -c file1.d
     dmd -c file2.d

etc. :-)