Button: A fast, correct, and elegantly simple build system.

sarn via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 14 15:34:38 PDT 2016

On Monday, 13 June 2016 at 20:12:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/12/2016 4:27 PM, Jason White wrote:
>> I don't understand this dependency-phobia.
>
> It's the "first 5 minutes" thing. Every hiccup there costs us
> maybe half the people who just want to try it out.

> The makefiles, especially posix.mak, have grown into horrific
> snarls of who-knows-what-is-happening.

I had a minor rant about this at DConf.  The makefiles are the
major reason I haven't contributed to the core D projects.

They'd be a hell of a lot simpler if everything that isn't
building an executable (and isn't idempotent) got ripped out.  No
downloading compilers, no cloning/updating repos, etc, etc.
Having a pushbutton process for installing/bootstrapping is cool,
but that stuff is better off in scripts.