Button: A fast, correct, and elegantly simple build system.

Jason White via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 21:26:24 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 12:00:52 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I'd say the gating factor is -j. If an build system doesn't
> implement the equivalent of make -j, that's a showstopper.

Don't worry, there is a --threads option and it defaults to the
number of logical cores.

I just did some tests and the reason it is slower than Make is
because of the automatic dependency detection on every single
command. I disabled the automatic dependency detection and
compared it with Make again. Button was then roughly the same
speed as Make -- sometimes it was faster, sometimes slower.
Although, I think getting accurate dependencies at the cost of
slightly slower builds is very much a worthwhile trade-off.