Button: A fast, correct, and elegantly simple build system.

Jason White via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 21:40:16 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 12:02:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> In all likelihood. One issue with build systems is there's no
> clear heir to make. There are so many, including a couple (!)
> by our community, each with its pros and cons. Which one should
> we choose?

You should choose mine, obviously. ;)

In all seriousness, Make will probably live as long as C. There
are a *ton* of Makefiles out there that no one wants translate to
a new build system. Part of the reason for that is probably
because they are so friggin' incomprehensible and its not exactly
glamorous work. This is why I'm working on that tool to allow
Button to build existing Makefiles [1]. It may not work 100% of
the time, but it should help a lot with migrating away from Make.

[1] https://github.com/jasonwhite/button-make