Button: A fast, correct, and elegantly simple build system.

Jason White via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 16 21:54:37 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 12:34:26 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 June 2016 at 23:27:07 UTC, Jason White wrote:
>> However, I question the utility of even doing this in the
>> first place. You miss out on the convenience of using the
>> existing command line interface.
>
> Why the build script can't have a command line interface?

It could, but now the build script is a more complicated and for
little gain. Adding command line options on top of that to
configure the build would be painful.

It would be simpler and cleaner to write a D program to generate
the JSON build description for Button to consume. Then you can
add a command line interface to configure how the build
description is generated. This is how the Lua build descriptions
work[1].

[1]
http://jasonwhite.github.io/button/docs/tutorial#going-meta-building-the-build-description