Button: A fast, correct, and elegantly simple build system.

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 17 13:59:46 PDT 2016

On Monday, 30 May 2016 at 19:16:50 UTC, Jason White wrote:

> Note that this is still a ways off from being production-ready.
> It needs some polishing. Feedback would be most appreciated
> (file some issues!). I really want to make this one of the best
> build systems out there.

I found the beginning of the tutorial very clear. I really liked
that it can produce a png of the build graph. I also liked the
Lua build description for DMD. Much more legible than the make
file.

However, once I got to the "Going Meta: Building the Build
Description" section of the tutorial, I got a little confused.

I found it a little weird that the json output towards the end of
the tutorial don't always match up. Like, where did the .h files
go from the inputs? (I get that they aren't needed for running
gcc, but you should mention that) Why is it displaying cc instead
of gcc? I just feel like you might be able to split things up a
little and provide a few more details. Like, this is how to do a
base version, then say this is how you can customize what is
displayed. Also, it's a little terse on the details of things
like what the cc.binary is doing. Always err on the side of
explaining things too much rather than too little, IMO.