Button: A fast, correct, and elegantly simple build system.

Jason White via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 18 00:04:34 PDT 2016

On Friday, 17 June 2016 at 20:59:46 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> I found the beginning of the tutorial very clear. I really
> liked that it can produce a png of the build graph. I also
> liked the Lua build description for DMD. Much more legible than
> the make file.
>
> However, once I got to the "Going Meta: Building the Build
> Description" section of the tutorial, I got a little confused.
>
> I found it a little weird that the json output towards the end
> of the tutorial don't always match up. Like, where did the .h
> files go from the inputs? (I get that they aren't needed for
> running gcc, but you should mention that) Why is it displaying
> cc instead of gcc? I just feel like you might be able to split
> things up a little and provide a few more details. Like, this
> is how to do a base version, then say this is how you can
> customize what is displayed. Also, it's a little terse on the
> details of things like what the cc.binary is doing. Always err
> on the side of explaining things too much rather than too
> little, IMO.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad someone has read the
tutorial.

I'm not happy with that section either. I think I'll split it up
and go into more depth, possibly moving it to a separate page. I
also still need to write docs on the Lua parts (like cc.binary),
but that API is subject to change.

Unlike most people, I kind of actually enjoy writing
documentation.