D-Man culture

Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 19 08:01:33 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am not sure how much you have heard about the D-Man, but in
Japan there is an entire culture based on the D-Man!
As I learned about this by accident (and even Walter didn't know
about it), I thought I share this great movement with the DLang
community!
Here are some awesome impressions from Twitter:

D-Man vs. Gopher
----------------

https://twitter.com/simd_nyan/status/741924255558819840

D-Man (3D printed with PolyFlex)
--------------------------------

https://twitter.com/simd_nyan/status/623098949046382593

D-Man in "Action"
-----------------

https://twitter.com/stamcd/status/742563964656062464

3D-animated D-Man
-----------------

https://twitter.com/SagafroKichigai/status/680651286006505472
https://twitter.com/SagafroKichigai/status/731668840900263940

DLang comic strips
------------------

e.g. "Getting into Phobos":
https://twitter.com/DlangGuy/status/639529181978697728

Where to go from here?
----------------------

The D-Man has already found its way into some of our
documentation pages:

http://dlang.org/overview.html
http://dlang.org/spec/iasm.html
http://dlang.org/spec/contracts.html

and I argue that it helps to make those pages more unique, vivid
and memorable!
Imho we should start to embrace the D-Man as our official mascot
(like the Gopher for Go) and many of the specification pages (and
the new Dlang Tour pages) would profit from similar drawings.
This is not intended to spark a huge discussion, as I am quite
aware that some see the D-man as childish and a negative way to
represent D, but for more "professional" use cases we have the
awesome, new D icons from Sociomantic.

Get involved
------------

It's proposed to use #DLangMan in the future, s.t. English
readers can also enjoy the D-Man content. Moreover there are some
Twitter accounts that are extraordinary D-man evangelists:

https://twitter.com/simd_nyan
https://twitter.com/DlangGuy (DLang comic strips)
https://twitter.com/meiz_sandwich
https://twitter.com/d_man_bot (retweets D-Man content)

As mentioned I don't speak Japanese, so I would be quite
interested if someone from this movement could explain the
history or give a better summary.