LDC now supports Windows MSVC x86/x64 as first class targets

kinke via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 20 09:27:19 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 20 March 2016 at 14:15:19 UTC, Manu wrote:
> It's been many years so far... what's a couple more? ;)

I know, but MSVC targets have just recently gained a lot of
momentum, and MS has started contributing too.

> The advantage is, in addition to the obvious debuginfo, that the
> binary generated by the same codegen would definitely be
> completely compatible.

Completely compatible to what? An identical IR generated by clang
for a 1:1 translation of a D source to C++ (in cases where that's
even possible)?

> assuming that LLVM is even capable of expressing all the data
> in MS's debuginfo format?

For me the question is rather whether the MS backend really fully
supports LLVM IR, especially wrt. ABI details, alignments, EH
etc., or if it just supports what clang emits.