Release D 2.071.0

Márcio Martins via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 2 09:47:13 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 10 April 2016 at 20:18:28 UTC, Lewis wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 April 2016 at 07:44:48 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 5 April 2016 at 22:43:05 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>>> Glad to announce D 2.071.0.
>>
>> I read somewhere recently about performance regressions in
>> DMD. Were these related the import and module fixes? Were they
>> fixed? Do they depend on any dmd switches?
>>
>> Thanks anyway!
>
> I just updated one of my projects from 2.069.0 to 2.071.0, and
> saw the build time jump from ~1.7s to ~2.5s. Take this single
> informal data point with a huge grain of salt obviously, but I
> am also curious about the details of this. DMD's speed is one
> of D's selling points to me, and I might roll back until
> performance improves if there isn't a straightforward fix.
>
> Agreed though, otherwise a great release. Thanks for everyone's
> hard work!

Late to the party, but congratulations and great work on another
impressive release! Thanks to everyone involved!

Just wanted to report a very large decrease in build performance.
Compare a debug build on Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit with ld.gold.

with 2.070.2:
real	0m9.775s
user	0m9.036s
sys	0m0.700s

with 2.071.0:
real	0m45.011s
user	0m41.760s
sys	0m3.144s

Since this release is not critical for us, despite including many
great changes, we will also stick to DMD 2.070.2 and hope for a
fix in a future release, if at all possible.