Live streaming of DConf 2016: confirmed

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 4 01:33:47 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 22:45:45 UTC, dilkROM wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 22:06:54 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

>>> Can't we get some communication on this issue ?
>>>
>>> I can't be the only person who wants to know what is
>>> happening ?
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> The twitter feed provides a link:
>> https://www.facebook.com/sociomantic/app/190322544333196/
>>
>> But I'm probably not going to bother to wake up at 4am for
>> it...
>
> Yes, correct! There are currently three places to view the
> stream:
>
> Sociomantic Facebook:
> https://www.facebook.com/sociomantic/app/190322544333196/
>
> Sociomantic Website:
> https://www.sociomantic.com/blog/2016/05/follow-dconf-2016-in-real-time/
>
> Sociomantic UStream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pR6fAWVkXzw
>
> We'll try to get a PR submitted to the official DConf website
> to get a stream there too so people really have a wide variety
> of where they are most comfortable to watch the live stream,
> but I'm not sure how likely that last addition will be given
> that the conference starting may engage most folks and thus
> prevent any site updates. I could be wrong though!
>
> If anyone else feels like they want to host a stream somewhere,
> please let me know!
>
> Lastly, if you want direct access to me or any other organizers
> during the event, best case is to Tweet directly to @DLangConf
> as that is more aggressively notifying us than the forums.

There appears to be a problem with the sound on Ustream with
Android, at least for me: there is none.  I've tried it on a Sony
phone and a Samsung tablet, both with the HTML5 player in the
browser and the Android app.  All other streams work, which
suggests it's a problem with the Dconf stream.

My guess is that the Dconf stream is using an audio codec that
Ustream doesn't support on Android, and it's silently failing, in
more ways than one.  If anyone else can reproduce this and maybe
try to fix it by changing the audio codec, if possible, that'd be
great.