Battle-plan for CTFE

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 9 09:57:39 PDT 2016

Hi Guys,

I have been looking into the DMD now to see what I can do about
CTFE.
Unfortunately It is a pretty big mess to untangle.
Code responsible for CTFE is in at least 3 files.
[dinterpret.d, ctfeexpr.d, constfold.d]
I was shocked to discover that the PowExpression actually depends
on phobos! (depending on the exact codePath it may or may not
compile...)
which let to me prematurely stating that it worked at ctfe
[http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ukcoibejffinknrbzktv@forum.dlang.org]

My Plan is as follows.

Add a new file for my ctfe-interpreter and update it gradually to
take more and more of the cases the code in the files mentioned
above was used for.

Do Dataflow analysis on the code that is to be ctfe'd so we can
tell beforehand if we need to store state in the ctfe stack or
not.

Or baring proper data-flow analysis: RefCouting the variables on
the ctfe-stack could also be a solution.

I will post more details as soon as I dive deeper into the code.