Battle-plan for CTFE

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 9 16:27:59 PDT 2016

On Monday, May 09, 2016 13:24:56 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On 5/9/2016 9:57 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> >[...]
>
> The memory consumption problem, at least, can be resolved by using stack
> temporaries instead of allocating new nodes. This was already done in
> constfold.d, but not in the rest of the interpreter.
>
> Doing that will (I predict) also double its speed right there.

Previously, Don stated that he thought that simply making it so that CTFE
didn't allocate a new integer every time it mutated it would be a _huge_
speed-up by itself (which presumably is what you're talking about with
regards to allocating new nodes). Unfortunately, he got too busy to actually
do that work and no one else stepped in to do. But if Stefan is going to
step up and improve CTFE, that's fantastic. It's one of D's best features,
but it's also one of its most problematic. Fixng that would be huge.

- Jonathan M Davis