To all DConf speakers: please upload slides!

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri May 13 08:24:22 PDT 2016

On 5/12/16 6:21 PM, Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> Dne 12.5.2016 v 22:55 Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
> napsal(a):

>>> Just a minor complaint - would it be possible for the next dconf to have
>>> the slides (or a link to them) on dconf.org before the talk starts?
>>> Thanks for the great work!
>>
>> I think it's better to not have the slides available until the talk
>> starts.
>
> No, you are wrong. It would be really nice to have them. I would say it
> was one of the biggest failures of dconf for people who can't attend.

You only *need* the slides for when you can watch the talk. Having the
slides beforehand may be confusing and unhelpful. This means there is no
reason to provide the slides until the talk actually happens.

I almost want to say, if you need to see the presentation live, attend
the conference :) In some past conferences, there were no live streams,
and people survived. It's nice to have, but it somewhat removes the
incentive to support the conference by attending.

>> There may be jokes/surprises in the slides that you don't want to give
>> away before the talk happens :)
>>

> If there is anything you do not want to make available before talks. You
> don't have to ;).

But then the slides provided online don't match the slides you are
showing. That is not good.

-Steve