Battle-plan for CTFE

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri May 13 09:32:56 PDT 2016

On Friday, 13 May 2016 at 13:59:57 UTC, Don Clugston wrote:

> I think I need to explain the history of CTFE.
> Originally, we had constant-folding. Then constant-folding was
> extended to do things like slicing a string at compile time.
> Constant folding leaks memory like the Exxon Valdez leaks oil,
> but that's OK because it only ever happens once.
> Then, the constant folding was extended to include function
> calls, for loops, etc. All using the existing constant-folding
> code. Now the crappy memory usage is a problem. But it's OK
> because the CTFE code was kind of proof-of-concept thing anyway.
>
> [...]

Thanks for the explanation, and for doing so much work on CTFE.

I would like to work on a solution that does scale.
The Problem is not making a byteCode-interpreter.
That part is relatively easy. Currently I am trying to get a
detailed understanding of dmd and it's data-structures. (mainly
it's AST.)

Generating the byte-code seems to be non-trivial.

I wonder in how far the glue layer can be of help...