Battle-plan for CTFE

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun May 15 03:29:21 PDT 2016

On 05/10/2016 08:45 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> I was listening to a discussion Don and Daniel had about the current
> implementation of CTFE. They talked about using a byte code interpreter.
> Even implementing a really crappy byte code interpreter would be a huge
> improvement.

No need for a byte-code interpreter, it mostly just adds overhead and
complexity over an AST interpreter. If you want to go really fast you
need some sort of JIT anyhow, but a proper interpreter will be orders of
mangnitude faster than the current implementation.

I might refer you to
http://dconf.org/2013/talks/chevalier_boisvert.pdf
page 59 ff.