Battle-plan for CTFE

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu May 19 05:32:06 PDT 2016

On 19/05/2016 3:50 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> I am currently designing an IR to feed into the CTFE Evaluator.
> I am aware that this could potentially make it harder to get things
> merged since DMD already has the glue-layer.

It's always more difficult to justify merging more complexity.  But if
you can present a working and superior solution the specific
implementation is less important.  It is still important that it matches
the existing style of the compiler, especially with respect to adding
dependencies.

Also be aware that even with agreement on the eventual goal, it is still
very slow to get big changes approved.  eg ddmd took more than twice as
long as it should have.  This is why I suggested looking for incremental
improvements, so you can overlap getting earlier things merged and
developing later parts.  I would be on the lookout for things that can
be justified on their own (untangling AssignExp :) ) and try to push
those through first.