D's Auto Decoding and You

Taylor Hillegeist via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu May 19 10:16:54 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 at 14:06:37 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> http://jackstouffer.com/blog/d_auto_decoding_and_you.html
>
> Based on the recent thread in General, I wrote this blog post
> that's designed to be part beginner tutorial, part objective
> record of the debate over it, and finally my opinions on the
> matter.
>
> When I first learned about auto-decoding, I was kinda miffed
> that there wasn't anything in the docs or on the website that
> went into more detail. So I wrote this in order to introduce
> people who are getting into D to the concept, it's benefits,
> and downsides. When people are confused in Learn why
> typeof(s.front) == dchar then this can just be linked to them.
>
> If you think there should be any more information included in
> the article, please let me know so I can add it.

I ran into an auto decoding problem earlier. Honestly I was
upset, and I think I was rightly upset. The programming language
moved my cheese without telling me. I tend to believe in the
route of least surprise. if as a newbie I am doing something
stupid and find out i was wrong, that is one thing. but if i
continue to do something wrong and find out that the programming
language thinks I am stupid that's another thing.

If people want auto coding behavior shouldn't they just use or
convert to dchar?