My ACCU 2016 keynote video available online

Jens Müller via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu May 19 16:00:45 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 at 22:04:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 05/19/2016 05:36 PM, Jens Müller wrote:
>> I removed the code to optimize for large gaps. Because it is
>> only
>> confusing. I may generate some benchmark data with larger gaps
>> later to
>> see whether it is worthwhile for such data.
>
> For skipping large gaps quickly, check galloping search (google
> for it, we also have it in phobos). -- Andrei

Sure. I've already seen this. It's nice. But you have to include
it in the sparse dot product (or list intersection) algorithm
somehow. Then you require random access and galloping is only
beneficial if the gaps are large. As a library writer this is a
difficult position because this turns easily into over
engineering. Optimally one just exposes the primitives and the
user plugs them together. Ideally without having to many knobs
per algorithm.

Jens