amoeba, a chess engine written in D

extrawurst via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri May 20 17:29:13 PDT 2016

On Friday, 20 May 2016 at 23:16:01 UTC, Richard Delorme wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the release of a chess engine written
> in D:
> https://github.com/abulmo/amoeba
>
> I am not aware of any other chess engine written with the D
> language.
>
> The source can be compiled with dmd, ldc or gdc, but the best
> performance are obtained with the latter (almost twice faster).
>
> This is my first program using the D language (I am a former C
> programmer), and I enjoyed it a lot.

That is awesome!

Two questions:
1) If it is using UCI protocol I guess there are other engines
that you can compare amoeba with when it comes to performance and
other aspects, did you ?

2) It would be awesome if you could write down how it was to use
D for that project as someone freshly coming from C. What were
the reasons you chose D, what did you like, what did u hate ?
That would help you being read on reddit by a hundred blood
thursty devs (street cred and all) and us for knowing what we can
improve and also get the PR :)

Cheers,
Stephan