My ACCU 2016 keynote video available online

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat May 21 06:20:04 PDT 2016

On 05/21/2016 04:45 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 20 May 2016 at 18:26, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 5/19/2016 11:50 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah. Okay, well while this is a very interesting talk, I was indeed
>>> hoping you were going to make a D concepts proposal... do you have
>>> such a thing in mind, or are you against concepts in D?
>>

>> D has constraints. No point in adding concepts.
>
> I really struggle to agree. Constraints are a good first-step in that
> direction, but they're unwieldy, produce the worst looking function
> signatures (read: documentation) of literally any language ever
> conceived, relatively awkward error feedback, and very quickly get out
> of hand if you have many variations of possible constraints.

I guess a lot more detail would be necessary here. A bunch of good folks
(at least better than me) have worked for over a decade on C++ concepts
and three (three!) proposals later it's still unclear whether they're a
good idea. -- Andrei