amoeba, a chess engine written in D

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun May 22 16:26:00 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 22 May 2016 at 21:22:30 UTC, Richard Delorme wrote:
> A question: why singleobj is not activated by a -Ox options?

It changes compiler behaviour – only a single object file is
produced. Historically, the default behaviour was used by some
people/build systems for incremental compilation.

However, since incremental compilation only works when exactly
the same (sub)sets of commands are invoked every time these days,
-singleobj should arguably be on by default, at least when
producing an executable.

This is actually what ldmd2 does already, but we should probably
take the plunge and break backwards compatibility to enable it
for the main driver too. I can't think of a scenario where you
wouldn't want to be using it.

  — David