mago-mi: GDB/MI compatible frontend for Mago debugger

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 23 23:34:04 PDT 2016

On 17.05.2016 10:06, Vadim Lopatin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on GDB/MI compatible interface for Mago debugger on Windows.
>
> GDB/MI is line based machine interface for debugger. IDEs are using GDB
> via this interface.
>
> GDB/MI docs: https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/GDB_002fMI.html
>
> Project page (mago fork) https://github.com/buggins/mago
>
> Currently mago-mi supports subset of GDB commands enough for current
> DlangIDE functionality.
>
> Tested on DMD generated 32bit executables.
>
> See readme details list of implemented commands:
> https://github.com/buggins/mago/tree/master/MagoMI/mago-mi
>
> Difference from baseline https://github.com/rainers/mago files are minimal:
> - Static linking for MagoNatDE and MagoNatEE
> - Disabled some Mago debug logging
>
> Building mago-mi from source is easy. I've tried MS Visual Studio 2013
> and 2015. Don't forget to edit properties in mago/PropSheets. Buld
> mago-mi project.
>
> Since DlangIDE v0.6.1, it includes prebuilt mago-mi.exe (it will be
> copied into bin directory by dub build) and default Debugger settings
> are changed from gdb to mago-mi by default on Windows. If you already
> used DlangIDE on your computer, check Edit/Preferences/Debugger setting
> - change to "mago-mi" if "gdb" is specified.
>
> If you want to try mago-mi and DlangIDE which is using it, you can
> download binaries from
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/DlangUI/dlangide-v061-magomi-v010-x86.zip/download
> (or just sync to latest dlangide and use `dub run`). Bundle includes
> DlangIDE, mago-mi, dub, and sample workspaces (helloworld and tetris).
> Download size is 5.4Mb (seems small enough for IDE+debugger).
>
> I hope my work will be useful for other IDE developers who is targeting
> on Windows.
> (Any IDE which uses gdb/mi interface)
> I tried gdb and lldb-mi before, but did not managed to find working
> compiler + debugger configuration. (Best combination was gdb + gdc, but
> it was showing global variables instead of locals. For lldb-mi, I
> haven't managed to find compiler which produces compatible debug info).
>
> Best regards,
>     Vadim

Impressive work!

I'm currently working on improving integration in VS. For this, I also
needed a static library version of MagoNatDE. I just pushed my changes,
I hope it doesn't break anything for you.

If you want to stay in sync, please consider a PR with your changes to mago.