Introducing mach.d, the github repo where I put whatever modules I happen to write

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed May 25 20:49:08 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 22:19:28 UTC, Seb wrote:
> A bit off-topic, but I can't help to say it.
> I know that writing your own library is fun, but something that
> I see quite often when looking at e.g.
>
> https://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd
> https://github.com/CyberShadow/ae
> https://github.com/nordlow/phobos-next
>
> is that people love to collect and build their own ecosystem,
> but it would be a lot better if for a specific use-case there's
> a great dub package or it's part of Phobos.

At least for me, here are the main motivators:

1. Trivia. There are a lot of one-liners in ae which although
used often and make the code somewhat more readable, would not be
suitable for Phobos because you can think of any number of them.

2. Very often I put a function in ae not because I know I'll need
it again, but simply because it seems generic enough that it
would better belong in a generic library than the specific
program I'm writing. This of course leads to functions that are
used only once. Sometimes (rarely) I realize that I don't need
that function after all, so some functions probably have never
been used.

3. Commitment. Making your library for general consumption means
proper versioning, upgrade paths and things like that. It's an
additional mental burden on top of getting the thing you want
done done.

That said I did add a dub.sdl file to ae a while ago.