IDE - Coedit 2, update 6 released

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat May 28 09:23:41 PDT 2016

On 05/28/2016 09:08 AM, Basile B. wrote:
> On Friday, 27 May 2016 at 17:49:18 UTC, Bauss wrote:
>> On Thursday, 26 May 2016 at 23:44:21 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>>> Mostly because an important feature of the library manager was not
>>> compatible with DUB > v0.9.24. Otherwise almost nothing.
>>>
>>> See https://github.com/BBasile/Coedit/releases/tag/2_update_6 for the
>>> changelog and the binaries.
>>
>> Is there anyway to get dark theme?
>
> If the native UI of the operating system has a dark theme then Coedit
> will have a dark theme too. You just have to adjust the highlighter
> attributes, like here:
>
> http://imgur.com/sKCB1Vz

It'd be nice if there was a pre-defined set of dark highlighter
attributes that could just be selected and then used out-of-the-box or
as a starting point. In general, manually adjusting editor themes can
get to be a pain, especially when the color settings are mixed in with
the rest of the settings.

Seems like a really nice editor though, I just tried it for the first
time right now. I'd been having a hard time finding an editor I really
like since switching my main dev machine to Linux (previously had been a
die-hard Programmer's Notepad 2 user, but it has some issues under wine,
and of course it doesn't do DCD). Hopefully this one will fit the bill,
looks nice so far.

Few newbie questions:

- In other editors, I tend to rely very heavily on "Ctrl-Tab" to switch
between opened files (in most-recently-used order - analogous to Alt-Tab
in many desktop environments). Is there an entry for that in
"Options"->"Shortcuts"->"Code editor" so I can set that up? I didn't
spot one at a glance, but I could've easily overlooked it.

- Regarding "tab vs space" indents, the boolean options eoSpacesToTabs,
eoTabsToSpaces, and eoTabIndent seem key, but I'm a little unclear on
exactly how they work, and the "options1"/"options2" in general don't
appear to be documented (understandable, given how many there are, which
is nice though, I like configurability. Adjusting software to fit people
is much better than adjusting people to fit software, and
"one-size-fits-all" only ever works for hats :) ).

- Mostly wishful thinking but I don't suppose there are any plans for
elastic tabstops, are there?

- Not an objection really (and I'm sure this has been asked before, so
pardon that), but I'm curious why it's written in Pascal rather than D.
Lack of good-enough GUI libs for D? Any plans to port to D down the
road? It'd likely be easier to get contributors if it were in D, but I
imagine you probably already figured that. Not trying to push for
porting of course, I'm just curious.

- I am getting a little bit a weird behavior in a couple places (This is
on Debian x64, KDE4, FWIW):

When I type 'm' in the editor (without Shift), I get a newline instead
of an 'm'. The other letters appear to work fine.

Also, in the options editor and the search/replace text box (maybe other
places as well?), anything I type gets doubled. For example, if I try to
type in a value of "20", I get "2200". "if" becomes "iiff". Backspace
works fine, so I can easily erase the extra characters, but something
seems to have gone weird there.

And the "Find" button doesn't appear to successfully find things even
when they are there. "Find All" works though.

- It'd be nice if there was a way (if there isn't already?) to set up
Ctrl-F (or something) to automatically jump to and select the text in
the "Search" entry box.