D Embedded Database v0.1 Released

Piotrek via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue May 31 22:45:49 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 at 22:08:00 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> Nice effort. How would you like collaboration with the SQLite-D
> project.

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but SQLite-D is a compile time
SQLite3 file reader. If so, I can predict not many common parts.
Maybe the one would be a data deserialization component however I
didn't check how it's done in SQLite-D.

> With has similar goals albeit file format compatible to SQLite.

When I was selecting possible file format I was thinking about
SQLite one. I am actually a fan of the SQLite project. However
there are some shortcomings present in current SQlite3 format:

- SQlite3 is not really a one file storage (i.e. journal file)
- it gets fragmented very quickly (check out design goals for
SQLite4)
- it's overcomplicated and non deterministic with respect to real
time software
- it has unnecessary overhead because every column is actually a
variant type

Add to this the main goal of replacing SQL with D
ranges+algorithms. In result it turned out it would be great to
have an alternate format.

BTW. Would someone be so kind and post the above paragraph on
Reddit under a comment about Sqlite db. I'm not registered there.

Piotrek