Article: Running D without its runtime

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 10 03:17:22 PST 2016

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 at 10:30:36 UTC, qznc wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 November 2016 at 00:56:02 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> https://www.auburnsounds.com/blog/2016-11-10_Running-D-without-its-runtime.html
>>
>> "Our products now run with the D language runtime disabled.
>> This post is both a post-mortem and tutorial on how to live
>> without the D runtime. "
>
> For runtime users the good news is that speed is already fine.
> :)
>
> The hacks you needed to go through are ugly. Any ideas how this
> could be improved?

Barely.

I'm not wise enough to know what this would imply. In my
uninformed opinion, making attribute inference work on destroy()
and making class destructors "nothrow @nogc" would go a long way.
As it is, doing D without the runtime isolates you in a tiny
universe.

About exceptions, if we modify Throwable to have a "release()"
virtual function called (or better own an allocator?), then we
could have the caller catch exception regardless of how they are
allocated.