Release D 2.072.0

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 10 05:26:44 PST 2016

> On 11/3/16 10:49 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:

>>> Maybe after this:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commit/1d0ab8b9c136e46bf449c506ca25d2c8a784f7b9#diff-b4674e7b5d3a44178526afdefc9aa368
>>>

>>> ddmd.attribs was removed
>>>
>>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commit/1d0ab8b9c136e46bf449c506ca25d2c8a784f7b9#diff-b4674e7b5d3a44178526afdefc9aa368L15
>>>

>>> and it was also part of the cycle.
>>
>> Thanks for the detective work.
>> I wonder where the bug is: in 2.071 or in 2.072 :)
>
> Any cycles that are "newly discovered" were already there. What was
> happening is that the runtime did not detect the cycle, and was
> arbitrarily choosing an order for initializing these modules.

It does not justify immediate breaking change. What should have been
done instead:

- Keep old behavior by default by default but print non-fatal runtime
message that cycles are detected.
- Provide options both to make cycle detection fatal and to suppress
message completely.
- Make fatal one the default one release later

I presume I have to look for commits that implement
http://dlang.org/changelog/2.072.0.html#drt-oncycle to fixup this?