DIP document maintenance

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 17 06:36:27 PST 2016

On 11/17/2016 09:16 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> 2) It is a regular update. In that case revision number is simply git
> history. For example DIP1002 is currently at revision 7 (git log
> --pretty=oneline DIPs/DIP1002.md | wc -l).
>
> Same goes for update of reviews - everything is tracked in git history.
> At any given point of time you simply throw away everything old and keep
> only most recent versions.

OK, so we're just using git for versioning, which should work fine. The
one potential issue I see with it is the version number is not
indicative of how many review cycles have been passed. E.g. DIP1002 is
already at revision 7, which is an irrelevant number to the casual
reader. "What do you think of DIP2749?" "Which revision you mean?" "Well
it's revision 38." "Would that be before or after the third review?" etc.

I'd like to have a simple tag a la DIP2749 v1 for the first review
round, DIP2749 v2 for the second review round, and so on. So then people
can refer to "DIP2749 v3" in casual conversation. Is this feasible?

Andrei