mysql-native v0.1.7

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 21 05:22:07 PDT 2016

On 10/21/2016 05:35 AM, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 October 2016 at 21:25:50 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Minor update to mysql-native: A client driver for MySQL/MariaDB
>> written natively in D from scratch via the published protocol specs,
>> with no dependency on the C MySQL client library. Supports either
>> Phobos or Vide.d sockets (works with or without Vibe.d).
>>
>> https://github.com/mysql-d/mysql-native
>> DUB: http://code.dlang.org/packages/mysql-native
>>
>> In v0.1.7:
>> - New: Test suite automatically tests with both Vibe and Phobos
>> sockets, not just Phobos. (@Abscissa)
>> - Change: Drop support for DMDFE 2.066.1 and below. Compiles on DMDFE
>> 2.067.1 through 2.072.0.
>> - Fixed: Fix an import deprecation message for DMD 2.071. (@Abscissa)
>> - Fixed: #57: Added support for passing null parameters in prepared
>> statements by using Variant(null) (@machindertech)
>> - Fixed: #63/#69: Add escape module to package import (@Marenz)
>> - Fixed: #68: Update alias syntax (@Marenz)
>>
>> Full changelog:
>> https://github.com/mysql-d/mysql-native/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md
>>
>> I know I've said docs and examples are a top priority for
>> mysql-native, but it's become clear that the API is in serious need of
>> a refresh, so for the most part, I've held off on the docs this time
>> to avoid wasted effort documenting to-be-deprecated interfaces.
>>
>> Unless any pressing issues appear, expect the next release to be an
>> experimental branch showcasing a beta of a new API. If possible, I'd
>> like to have at least one release where the old API is still
>> functional, but deprecated.
>
> Please consider to look at the APIs of the other mysql libs, maybe there
> is one
> which you can use. I found it easier to use the APIs of  mysql-d
> (https://github.com/paxa/mysql.d) but mysql-lited
> (https://github.com/eBookingServices/mysql-lited) looks more enhanced.

Hmm, actually, there appears to be a lot of similarity with part of what
I had in mind:

https://github.com/mysql-d/mysql-native/issues/83

In particular, I *really* want to pretty much get rid of the Command
struct. Minimizing heap activity is also a goal, albeit separate from
this API refresh.

> But here too:
>
>> Documentation is not ready yet
>
> I would be very happy, if in the end there would be only one superior
> mysql-lib for D, so
> all can work together to improve this one.

mysql-native gets very few PRs. :(