Comparing compilation time of random code in C++, D, Go, Pascal and Rust

Johan Engelen via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 27 05:11:09 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 27 October 2016 at 06:43:15 UTC, Sebastien Alaiwan
wrote:

> From the article:
>> Surprise: C++ without optimizations is the fastest! A few
>> other surprises: Rust also seems quite competitive here. D
>> starts out comparatively slow."
>
> These benchmarks seem to support the idea that it's not the
> parsing which is slow, but the code generation phase. If code
> generation/optimization is the bottleneck, a "ccache-for-D"
> ("dcache"?) tool might be very beneficial.

See
https://johanengelen.github.io/ldc/2016/09/17/LDC-object-file-caching.html

I also have a working dcache implementation in LDC but it still
needs some polishing.

-Johan