Battle-plan for CTFE

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 1 13:43:16 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 at 19:38:13 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> I have something that will help with that a little bit.
> https://github.com/UplinkCoder/dmd/tree/__ctfeWriteln
> when you apply this patch __ctfeWriteln() will output every
> compiletime avilable string to the console.

More crucially, it also allows you to print runtime values during
CTFE. pragma(msg, …) suffices to print compile-time constants.
Very few people seem to have the correct mental model for the the
interaction between compile-time features and CTFE, hence I think
using precise terminology is an important first step.

See also: https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/692 – it's about time
we finally got __ctfeWrite() merged.

  — David