Battle-plan for CTFE

Rory McGuire via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 1 14:01:46 PDT 2016

On 01 Sep 2016 21:36, "David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d-announce" <
digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 1 September 2016 at 19:27:17 UTC, Rory McGuire wrote:
>>
>> So why can't we even catch the Error during CTFE, that would at least
help somewhat.

> You are mixing up runtime exceptions ("throw …") with compiler errors
(missing a semicolon). dm.D.learn should be able to help clear that up.

>  — David

I'm actually asking why we can't catch the ctfe error. It's quite obvious
that it is a temporary limitation of ctfe, there have been many limitations
removed over the years.

Surely the ctfe engine could be changed to catch unsupported code errors.
(Not invalid, just unsupported at CT).

The ctfe engine would have to "go past" the try anyway, right? This is the
part I don't understand. Is it because ctfe actually hasn't started yet and
some other analysis is freaking out?