[OT] LLVM 3.9 released - you can try the release already with LDC!

Rory McGuire via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 9 00:48:56 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Kai Nacke via Digitalmars-d-announce <
digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 10:51:16 UTC, eugene wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 09:42:11 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta wrote:
>>

>>> There are lot of projects using LLVM [1]. The fact that LDC if often
>>> cited in the release notes means that it's one of the best. This is free
>>> advertisement, as the LLVM release notes are read by PL people that may not
>>> know D. The fact that LDC is recognized as one of the most important LLVM
>>> projects also means that the LLVM folks will try to help the LDC folks when
>>> needed.
>>>
>>> [1] http://llvm.org/ProjectsWithLLVM/
>>>

>> i dont think counting each time when ldc and d are mentioned in llvm
>> community will help ldc and d to become popular)))
>>

> News ticker often refer to the LLVM release notes. E.g. the Heise news
> ticker (http://www.heise.de/) always reports about a new LLVM release.
> But I never succeded to place a new LDC release into the ticker. It's
> simply a good way to more people and get some advertising.
>
> With every new LDC release I inform LLVM Weekly (http://llvmweekly.org/),
> too, which is a widely read news letter. From one of these source, news
> about LDC spread to other sites like phoronix (http://phoronix.com/).
>
> Maybe counting of each reference is a bit childish (but fun). The real
> question is:

Its not childish at all, if you could show a chart of visits and downloads
vs news announcements its likely there is a correlation. However I think
these days most of us that are researching alternatives only do so when
necessary, so there is a chance that your work now will only pay off later
when someone finds D and wants to check its pedigree.