dmd Backend converted to Boost License

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 7 13:11:06 PDT 2017

On Friday, April 07, 2017 20:02:52 Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Friday, 7 April 2017 at 19:37:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > From what I've seen, the fact that we use it so heavily in the
> > D community is abnormal
>
> AFAIK the reasons it was chosen were
>
> 1. It's as close to public domain as you can get in international
> law
> 2. It's on all of the "Accepted OSS Licenses" lists that major
> corps have because of Boost itself being used in those companies.
> If your license isn't on the list, your project isn't being used.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with why Walter chose the boost license, and I agree
with that choice (I use it for all of my projects). My point was that it
doesn't seem to be a very common choice outside of the D community (at least
from what I've seen).

- Jonathan M Davis