dmd Backend converted to Boost License

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 7 16:06:16 PDT 2017

Jack Stouffer wrote:

> On Friday, 7 April 2017 at 15:14:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6680
>>
>> Yes, this is for real! Symantec has given their permission to relicense
>> it. Thank you, Symantec!
>
> Something that just popped into my head:
>
> You've said that you've avoided ever looking at other compiler's code to
> avoid legal trouble. Is that problem gone now?

nope. GPL programmers can safely look into BSDL code, for example, 'cause
it is ok to put GPL alongside of BSDL. but BSDL programmers can't "just
take" GPL code.

that is, it is prolly nobody will sue Walter for "copying GPL code", but it
is better to be safe than sorry.

this is how i see the things, of course, it's not the authoritative answer.