D support for the Meson build system

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 8 12:11:35 PDT 2017

On Friday, 7 April 2017 at 07:57:02 UTC, kinke wrote:
> So while compiling each file separately in parallel is
> potentially much much faster, the produced release binary may
> be slower due to less/no cross-module inlining (e.g., LDC's
> option is still experimental and known to have issues).

In fact single-module compilation is slower than package
compilation most of the time due to the redundant
parsing&semantic of common imports. As an extreme example, last
time I tried, single-module compilation for gtkd was ~10x slower
than compiling the library at once. Savings on recompilation
hardly make up for this huge overhead.
Overall I'd recommend organizing and building subpackages when a
project becomes too big.