dmd Backend converted to Boost License

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 9 13:10:02 PDT 2017

> As a compiler-writer no-nothing, does this have any implications on the various
> back-ends gaining ideas/code from each other? That is, is it possible we see LDC
> compile times go down, or DMD optimizations get better?

You can't change the license or copyright on the code, i.e. you can't transmit
code from DMD to LDC and change the license of it. And LDC code cannot be
transmitted to DMD and have its license changed.

So whether this is possible or not depends. If the LDC license is more
restrictive than Boost, then DMD cannot incorporate that code.