D support for the Meson build system

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 10 08:27:25 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 12:41 +0000, Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:

[…].

> I am not buying the necessity of not-splitbuilding for
> optimizations yet. If that would be the case, how do
> optimizations work with projects using GCC/Clang where
> splitbuilding is the default and often only option (like Mesa,
> Linux, lots of scientific stuff).

I am investigating this architecture because Chapel code cannot really
be compiled separately as far as I can see. cf. http://chapel.cray.com/
 Chapel is a PGAS language (like X10) for use with Big Computation™ on
serious computers and also any computer. I'm interested as a way of
connecting Python visualisation to computation that NumPy can't really
handle.

It seems sensible therefore to offer this way of working for D since
whether there is actually any optimisation benefit or not some people
think there is and use it as a stick to beat you with if it isn't
there.

> Having some level of dub integration is Meson would be neat
> indeed - maybe one could make a small helper binary Meson can
> call to fetch things from the dub registry.
> I wonder though how that would jive with Meson's own
> subprojects/wrap system. Probably worth investigating.

My thought for SCons was to delegate the package fetching to Dub as a
subprocess or write some Python to use the Dub API. I'm not clear on
that as yet, the issue is whether the Dub local source repo is the
right way forward – using Dub for preparing the compiled artefact is
likely not the right way forward for SCons. This would then make it
easy to do something for Rust/Cargo – except that SCons doesn't really
support Rust yet, and with Cargo are there any Rust users not using
Cargo.

Having said all this SCons stuff, if there was Meson support for this
"get the source from the Dub repository, compile it and make it a
dependency" I'd likely stay with Meson for my codes.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk