"Competitive Advantage with D" is one of the keynotes at C++Now 2017

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 23 23:37:40 PDT 2017

On 4/23/2017 5:04 AM, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> The rules of leak-free, exception-safe C++11 aren't so hard.
> - single-owneship for everything, invent fake owner if needed
> - std::unique_ptr for owning pointer, raw pointers for borrowed
>   (unique_ptr neatly avoids to write a RAII wrapper for everything)
>
> When teams internalize these rules, no more leaks, no more double-free, etc.
> Hence Rust that sanctified this style.

The trouble is, one cannot look at a piece of code and tell if it follows the
rules or not.

I.e. it's not about it being possible to write memory safe code in C or C++ (it
is), it's about verifying an arbitrary piece of code as being memory safe.