"Competitive Advantage with D" is one of the keynotes at C++Now 2017

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 28 13:26:58 PDT 2017

@safe

> concurrency in Rust;

std.concurrency

Funny story: the first ever (and really, only) program I wrote in
Rust had a deadlock in it. I never did figure out why, I just
stopped using threads to get rid of the problem. I know it's only
anecdata, but "fearless concurrency" does not gel with my
experience.

I don't even remember the last time I wrote a deadlock in C++, if
ever. Not once in D, that's for sure. It's hard to deadlock when
you hardly ever lock. :)

I have fearless concurrency now, in D. Message passing FTW.

> side effect safety in Haskell).

pure

> C++ users can more easily  agree to these individual points and
> later become interested in the other languages.

Well, let's show them the same points then ;)

> It's true that D's paradigm is less different from C++ and it's
> more about being better designed and safer as a whole. It's
> like, sure you can write 80% of D programs in C++ with only
> twice the typing at most,

In my experience, _at least_ twice the typing, and 3 times as
many bugs. And I'm talking about C++14 here. The other day I was
reminded that in C++ land one has to manually write `operator<<`
to print things out and `operator==` to compare things.

Atila