"Competitive Advantage with D" is one of the keynotes at C++Now 2017

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 29 20:07:47 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 29 April 2017 at 14:13:18 UTC, Patrick Schluter
wrote:
> For the same reason it is in C. If the ambition for D is to be
> a system language then it should avoid introducing artificial
> abstractions and work with the machine it runs on, not against.

The C model isn't much like x86 at all. You can do operations on
8 bit and 16 bit registers on x86, but C doesn't reflect that
reality.

I usually defend D's behavior of "blame C". Compatibility is
useful for us and conservative programmers like familiarity, but
I can't defend C's rules on the merits. They aren't like the
processor and they aren't even that useful.