D as a Better C

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 23 10:44:31 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 13:12:04 Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-
announce wrote:
> To coincide with the improvements to -betterC in the upcoming DMD
> 2.076, Walter has published a new article on the D blog about
> what it is and why to use it. A fun read. And I'm personally
> happy to see the love this feature is getting. I have a project
> I'd like to use it with if I can ever make the time for it!
>
> The blog:
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2017/08/23/d-as-a-better-c/
>
> Reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6viswu/d_as_a_better_c/

I confess that I tend to think of betterC as a waste of time. Clearly, there
are folks who find it useful, but it loses so much that I see no point in
using it for anything unless I have no choice. As long as attempts to
improve it don't negatively impact normal D, then I don't really care what
happens with it, but it's clearly not for me.

And it _is_ possible to use full-featured D from C/C++ when D does not
control main. It's just more of a pain.

- Jonathan M Davis